Monday, August 25, 2014

What's Your Vision?

Where there is no revelation, people cast off restraint - Proverbs 29:18 (NIV)
Where there is no vision, the people perish - Proverbs 29:18 (KJV)

When people no longer see a purpose, a reason for trying, they no longer have a goal to attain, a reason to do what they know to do, they "cast off restraints" and "perish".  I see this in myself and in my kids and in everyone around me.  I also see it in a church.

I suffered from this by having success too quickly.  Unfortunately I did not have a large enough dream for my life.  If I could go back, I would be diligent to pray and pray for what God would want my purpose to be because I know His dream for me would not be too large or too small but uniquely and perfectly made for me.  My own goal was to simply live a "normal" life.  It was not to live with nothing and constantly feeling less than other people.  I just wanted to live a life that society would later describe as suburbia and myself as a Yuppie.   For me, it was simply to have an equivalent shirt, shoe, car as everyone else and not feel less than because I knew I had less.  I worked hard to get to that goal.  But once I got there, I suffered a "now what" and floundered.

I praise God for giving me a gracious wife who has stuck with me, suffered through me, and has shown me what love really looks like.  I am certain that no one has illustrated this to me better than she has.  Because of her in my life, I believe that I am in a position to be able to discover God's plan for the rest of my life.  

Tony Dungy comments, "Both pride and complacency are enemies to our mission and will eventually lead to a fall.  Whether we are winning or losing, we have to shake off the past and keep moving ahead.  We need to focus on the task right in front of us. ... When you lose sight of the goal, it's unlikely you'll reach it.  Keep the vision in front of you and always continue moving toward it." 

I find it interesting that failure can exist in losing and winning.  It is really a matter of the heart.  But then, isn't it always?   I don't think God keeps score on our accomplishments in this world except the accomplishments of the growth of our heart towards Him.  In all things, in all ways, we must focus on how we are growing towards Him no matter what our earthly accomplishments or failures.

I believe our church was perishing the last 3 to 4 years with the lack of a leader who could show revelation and vision.  There was nothing to "catch", no line to tow.  It is great to now see a leader who prompts meetings with committees to get an idea of what the church is doing, what it can do, and encourage it towards a goal with a purpose.  There is a spark of life in that and it is refreshing.

I thank God today for being here with me, never leaving me, and I pray for His actionable item today that I can apply towards His goal and purpose for me.

No comments: