Friday, August 15, 2014

Rejection

My thoughts are now becoming centered on the topic of rejection and how it plays such a deceiving central driver to many of our thoughts, actions, and emotions.  I have often said that the largest problem with teens as they grow is their lack of emotional stability.  I think that I now see that the biggest problem for their emotional stability is how they handle rejection.  Consider the following common symptoms of rejection:
  • Rebellion. 
  • Fabricated personalities (being somebody you aren't, in order to be accepted).
  • Tendency to reject others immediately, so that you aren't the first one to be rejected.
  • Always questioning and have a need to know if a person rejects or accepts you.  Always wondering what they think about you.
  • The need to fit in or be accepted by others and be a part of everything.
  • Inability to be corrected or receive constructive criticism.
  • A tendency to blame God ("Why did He give me this big nose? Why did God make me so short?")
  • A sense of pride that says, "How dare they reject me!"
  • Stubborn and opinionated personality with a the need to be right about things.
  • Feelings of worthlessness, insecurity, or hopelessness.
  • Constantly seeking a parent's approval.
  • Envy, jealousy, and even hate can be rooted in rejection.
  • Fear of confrontation (because your identity is based upon what they think of you).
Immediately I think of myself in some of these areas and I also think of others who exhibit some of these symptoms in obvious ways.  What does God's Word say about rejection?  What are some ways to identify and address the rejection?  How can I help someone else make a path away from the traits in their personality that are there from rejection? 

Hopefully there will be some good study here and much input from others will be most helpful.  I pray God will lead me to some awesome wisdom and thoughts that can be organized to help not just myself but others.

No comments: