Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The "How-To" Guide II

15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord,20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. - Ephesians 5:15-20



While I do not wish to contradict the saying of Ben Franklin as it relates to time, I would point out that as best as I understand my Bible, it says that Life is only found in God Himself.  God controls time and is timeless Himself.  But for the purposes of discussing this portion of the verse that says, "making the most of every opportunity", it is a useful quote.

It begs an answer to the question, "What do you spend your time doing?"  Why is this important to know?  It is important because in our physical life, we only get a limited amount of time.  And the older I get, the faster it seems to be going by.  Since we only have a limited amount, then it is important not to squander or waste it, but to "be very careful how you live ... as wise making the most of every opportunity".


The most wise life is the life spent in complete communion with God, who is life.  The next most wise life, then, is spending as much of time as one is able in complete communion with God.  The next would be the life spent in some communion with God.  The wasted life becomes the life spent without God.

How am I going to spend this next minute?  Am I careful to be deliberately conscience of the Spirit of God and in fellowship with Him?  How about the next hour or day?  Am I willing to let hours, or even worse, days run together out of fellowship with God?  I pray that I will be wise and not squander my time.  I have done this before many times in my life and the overwhelming feeling from those is that the gift of life has been wasted.  There is always a sense of regret and a longing for a re-do.  And this is why we are to be careful and wise with every opportunity, "because the days are evil".  If we are not careful, Satan will do all that he can to devour us, and if he can't consume us then making us immoble and unproductive, or in other words, wasters of the gift of our time, he makes the day evil.

Let me be a careful steward of my time, spending it wisely in love and laughter in communion and fellowship with God and those God loves.  May every moment be the greatest of my life because God is consuming me and dwelling richly through me.

No comments: