Thursday, August 28, 2014

Life is a temporary assignment part 1


 

In his book entitled What on Earth am I Here For? Rick Warren states: "It is a fatal mistake to assume that God’s goal for your life is material prosperity or popular success, as the world defines it. The abundant life has nothing to do with material abundance, and faithfulness to God does not guarantee success. God is far more interested in your character than your comfort. He’s more interested in what you are becoming than in making this life easy for you. Remember, life is a test.

So many evangelists today attempt to get inside our heads with a message that "God wants to prosper you."  To me, any message that puts the emphasis on me is suspect from the start.  After all, the root of all sin is self-centered ness. I guess if people come to The Lord with this kind of message, good for them, but for me it is always dangerous to put the emphasis on me and my wants, desires, goals, or dreams.  I need a high degree of accountability to remain focused on God's will rather than my own.   To me the gospel message is all about who God is and what he did to reconcile a lost world to Himself, and what he is doing to call each uf us into relationship with Him. In short, it's all about God, not me.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I believe God does want to prosper me. Spiritually. He wants me to grow in as fast a rate as I am able to become closer to His character, to have His concerns, to see the world how He sees it. He wants me to have more joy, more peace, more longsuffering, more patience, more love, and to show more grace.

Is life really a test? A test seems to mean that there is a Pass or Fail. In that case, I don't see how we don't all fail. I'm not convinced that life is a test. I think life is growth. We choose how and where we grow. We are either growing towards God, or we're growing away from God. Many times it seems we also get to choose how fast we grow.