Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Never Give a Sword to a Man That Can't Dance (Part III)

 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. - 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

I find these two highlighted thoughts odd.  They fly head first into all the logic and operation of normal life.  He boasts in his infirmities?  He takes pleasure in them and in persecutions or distresses?  Has he gone mad?

Why does he boast and take pleasure in these things we would greatly prefer not to happen to us?  So the power of Christ may rest upon him and for Christ's sake.  Does this mean Christ want us to suffer?  ...  Absolutely not.  But Christ does want us to depend upon Him - completely.

"Where the joy of the Lord is, there is freedom!" the song sings.  I think it is here that Paul learned that his joy, his security, his tomorrow, his today, ... his everything to include his suffering was secondary.  The only thing that is real is God and we are loved and cared for by Him.  God's intention is to show Himself and the greatest blessing we can ever have is to be a part of that.  Nothing seems to cause more emotion from me than to realize and know that God used me, sinful and awful me, to show Himself to someone.  The joy in my heart causes tears and I really can not contain myself.

Paul is saying this here.  If my suffering is to be used to perfect me, then glory to God, cause me to suffer.  If my suffering is to be used to perfect others, then glory to God, cause me to suffer.  I am secondary, the only thing that is real is God.  Make my joy full and let me know that You, God almighty, are using me.

We can only have this attitude if we are full of joy for God.  We dance with Him.  We love Him because He first loved us.  How can we ever fight for Him through suffering or servitude for others without that joy and love?  I believe the truth is that we can't.  The army that is almost impossible to defeat is the army who fights out of a deep love for one another and for their purpose.  Hence the Celtic proverb, "Never give a sword to a man that can't dance".  If he has no love and joy in his fellow men, he is not worthy to yield the sword and enter the fight.

Where is your joy and love today?  Is is full?  When our joy and love for God is full, then we are ready to be used by Him to show Him to others because we'll accept any circumstance, event, or effort knowing that it promotes Christ to others.  We become focused on His purpose as it becomes our purpose.

No comments: