Monday, November 9, 2015

Tie it to a Balloon and Let it Go


In coaching, you learn that for every negative comment you make to a player, you have to make ten comments to overcome it.  I find this true for me as an adult as well.  While I may understand a right action or words as being right, believing it is right takes encouragement and positive reinforcement, especially when as Russ says, “It’s an unpopular position”.  My writing again this morning is an act of encourage and positive reinforcement, at least to myself.

A few times last week this position I've taken came up again as did some of the conversation.  I remarked to a person, “What do you do with that?”  They responded quoting a line from a message from a Pastor, “You tie it to a balloon and let it go.”  Yes.  You let it go.  How easily said and difficultly done.  Doesn’t mean it isn’t the right answer though.

I believe that I would have done better through the effort of conversations in this matter with family to have listened to that advice.  In Matthew 7:6 Jesus says “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.  If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.”  I sit amazed at how true this wisdom reflects the events of the last year.  After following an instruction not to judge one another, Jesus specifically tells us not to put His gospel towards those who will reject it and return to the way they want to live.  My biggest concern is actually not that they reject God's clear direction and live how they want to live, but they have become a false teacher through their actions and words.  Oh how I do not want to live or want for anyone else to live under those curses!

Proverbs 26:11 says “As a dog returns to its own vomit, so a fool repeats his folly.”  2 Peter 2:22 refers to this and says “… and a sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud.”  We are to learn that once may be enough.  Speak the truth, refer to righteousness, indicate your position, then move on.  1 Corinthians 2:15-16 refers that Christ can appraise all spiritual things and we have the mind of Christ.  So, we are to discern what effect or to what reception our message has and decide to move on or keep telling the Word to others based on that discernment, not our desire to see loved ones make right decisions.  Otherwise they will not only reject and ridicule your position, but also attack you successfully.  I have to assume that “tear you to pieces” means their attack causes pain.  Jesus gave a like instruction to his disciples in Matthew 10:14 when He sent them out in pairs and said, “If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.”  … Tie it to a balloon and let it go.

In as much as we have to have faith in His ability to save us, heal us, and change anyone who is willing, we have to have faith that letting go of them in their rejection of His Word is the right thing to do as well.  The Prodigal Son’s father did not chase him down and hound him all his days as he wasted his life, but sat at his home doing righteous things looking for his son’s return.  May we be ever looking for such a time and reject the urge to build walls in our hearts.  Jesus knows this too well for we have all rejected Him at some time.  May we lean on Him and ask for His comfort in such times.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Certainly better advice than I'm able to supply. I just don't know how silence isn't consent, yet I'm silent to my sister-in-law who is living with her boyfriend. I'm silent about my mother-in-law's alcoholism unless asked. I always figured that deep down they know my position and if they want to talk about it they'll bring it up, but I worry that silently participating in family is some form of consent. As you've put it, I'm standing by watching them leap off a cliff.
So hard to discern the right course of action, but your devotion is the best treatment of a difficult subject I've read.