Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Mindful


This morning I was fortunate to wake up and remember that it was my morning to help the church’s work to provide free breakfast for the homeless in our community.  It was an absolute privilege this morning.  Sometimes it’s work, but today it was very enjoyable. 

I always try to check my attitude before I get there.  Do I think I’m better than these guys?  Absolutely not.  I have simply had God’s blessings upon me and I deserve no more than any one on Earth.  God has protected me when I didn’t deserve it, allowed my mistakes to not devastate me like I do deserve, had a hand on me when I didn’t deserve it, loved me when I didn’t know it, and tolerated me when I wouldn’t have.  He is a glorious God.  He is a loving Lord.  He is my Father.

When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
     The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
What is man that You are mindful of him,
     And the son of man that You visit him?
For You have made him a little lower than the angels,
     And You have crowned him with glory and honor. – Psalm 8:3-5

Who am I that God would love so much that He would create a way for me to know Him?  Who am I that God would personally invite me to receive His Spirit?  “What is man that You are mindful of him?”  God is love and He loves.  It is no matter that I have not a single benefit for Him.  I can do nothing of myself.  In fact, I am worse than animals, plants, or anything else in Creation because I can choose to not love Him.  I can choose not to appreciate the beauty in His Creation.  I can choose not to love anyone, ever.  I can choose not to enjoy the free gift of life.  I can choose not to appreciate any gift or benefit. 

Yet, God holds my value to such that He came and dwelled with me.  He allowed Himself to die when He had done no wrong, just so I could choose to love.  Just so I could know Him.  Just so I could be like Him.  Just so we could commune together.  How can I possibly understand the unending dimension of such love?

I can understand how wondrous it is.  I can accept it and enjoy it.  I can let it fill me up and be thankful and grateful.  I can love all that is in His Creation.  I can love His Word.  I can love Him.

Be filled today by His Spirit and be mindful of Him.

No comments: