Monday, November 30, 2015

Faithful Prayer (Ps 86 - III)


Bend down, O Lord, and hear my prayer;
    answer me, for I need Your help.
2 Protect me, for I am devoted to You.
    Save me, for I serve You and trust You.
    You are my God.
3 Be merciful to me, O Lord,
    for I am calling on You constantly.– Psalm 86:1-3

Verse 3 jumps out at me when I read this Psalm from a position of desperation.  So many terms point out to David's desperation.  "Bend down and hear my prayer", "answer me for I need your help", and "protect me .. save me".  Then, comes verse 3.  "Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am calling on You constantly."  In other words, "I call upon you so much, do not get tired of hearing me.  Show me mercy as a needy child that must have You to make it."  While David is humbly asking his Lord to be patient with his constant cries for help, I think God answers such a position in prayer.  Alternately to the desperation, David says "I need Your help", "I am devoted to You", "I serve You and trust You", and "You are my God."  He has a heart of desperation and a heart of faith and complete dependence.  

Too often I think I have a heart of desperation, but not enough faith and dependence.  What answer can God give that is unacceptable to me?  Every answer He gives is the right answer.  It doesn't matter if I like it or not.  He is so far above me that I cannot possibly think I have to have a say in the response.  I must trust His character of love for me and His words to me that assure me He has me in His thoughts and He will do what is best for not just me, but all those around me.  I need to grasp this dual concept of faith and complete dependence with my desperation.

Humbly requesting from a desperate heart trusting wholly upon Him.  Welcome to faithful prayer.

No comments: