Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Feeding the Homeless

I got up at 4:50 this morning to get to the church by 5:30 to could help prepare breakfast to feed the homeless.  Julie and I signed up to be on teams to do this once a month, but if there are five Tuesdays in a month my team does it twice.  She got up with me and went with me to help this morning, that's three times for her in the last six weeks as she filled in for me last week when work was crushing me.  It is such a joy to serve together to serve others in this way.

I was alone preparing the drink table with coffee and water and I thought, no one will ever know I was here doing this, yet I'd rather be doing this than my regular work.  This work will make no difference of any real consequence, it will not be noticed, yet I am more filled by it than doing my normal job.  And to have my wife working in that work also is God heaping blessings upon me.

My cousin, Joe, explained feelings and thoughts we have like these deep inside in a real way for me once. He was speaking of himself in relation to his desire to help others but I believe it applies well to each of us, he said:
"The reason I am drawn to help is because I have a lot of love in my heart.  I have Christ in my heart.  He wants to help so I want to help.  I hurt when I see someone hurting and needy because Christ, in my heart, hurts.  I have to overcome Christ to do nothing."  
These were powerful words of testimony to me and I have not forgotten them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I have to overcome Christ to do nothing" is a keeper indeed!