Saturday, March 7, 2015

I Have Decided

After yesterday's devotion or writing I had the song I Have Decided to Follow Jesus written by S. Sundar Singh in my head all day.  The lyrics are as follows:

  1. I have decided to follow Jesus;
    I have decided to follow Jesus;
    I have decided to follow Jesus;
    No turning back, no turning back.

"No turning back."  I resolve that I have decided, I do believe, I will have faith.  I'm not just a fan of Jesus, I'm a follower.  I will not be deterred.  I will not turn back to who I am without Him.
  1. Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
    Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
    Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
    No turning back, no turning back.

"Though I may wonder."  I will have doubts.  I won't understand everything I think I see and feel.  I will not be able to comprehend or out argue those who do not follow.  But "I still will follow".
  1. The world behind me, the cross before me;
    The world behind me, the cross before me;
    The world behind me, the cross before me;
    No turning back, no turning back.

The past is the past.  I will leave it there.  The only thing before me is Christ.  "I die daily ... for me to die is gain, to live is Christ."
  1. Though none go with me, still I will follow;
    Though none go with me, still I will follow;
    Though none go with me, still I will follow;
    No turning back, no turning back.

The world will not come with me.  This is my faith journey.  Even if the whole world turns their back on me and shuns me, "I still will follow."
  1. Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
    Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
    Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
    No turning back, no turning back.

What an awesome message!  I can't escape its John Wayne toughness to faith.  Yet it is gentle and from the deepest sympathies of the heart.  Jesus is upon that message to us and others.

No comments: