Friday, March 20, 2015

Maintaining Pace

1 Chronicles 16: 11 Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
Psalm 37: 24 though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand.
Isaiah 40: but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint

I've never run a marathon, nor any other supreme test of endurance, but I know people who have and I understand its as much or more mental than physical.  I've heard many people talk about the physical issues that crop up about 2/3 through the race as their body chemistry becomes unbalanced leading to all sorts of ailments.  The body can physically keep going, but the mind has to be firmly committed to enduring and overcoming the pain. How cool would it be to simply mount up as if on wings of eagles and fly the rest of the way.  After all, what have your arms done for the last 16 miles?
So if endurance is a mental issue, I need help "mounting up."  I've got to keep going.  I don't have a choice, I'm running out of time and nothing can be ignored or simply pushed off until later.  I've got to finish and people are counting on me to finish strong with great insight and with unwavering integrity.  I need help.  Help comes from the Lord.  Lord continue to carry me.  Give me the knowledge, wisdom, steadfastness, and strength not just to endure, but to lead and lead well.  Lord I need you, oh I need you.  Every hour I need you. 
Yet in my self-centered state, I'm mindful that my battles to some would be a privilege.  Lord be with those who fight real battles.  Spiritual battles with lost loved ones, excruciating battles with life threatening disease, difficult battles of employment.  Lord you're carrying me.  How much more do others need your wings.  Be with them, let them know you're there.  May the comfort and peace of your strength overwhelm them.  Restore their hope so that your glory may be evident in this life and thus fill the earth. 

No comments: