Sunday, March 29, 2015

Spiritual Goal

Have you ever wondered, what did God see in creating man that was to be more than the other aspects of Creation?  I have often considered the order of Creation and the beauty of it as I live in it.  The galaxies across the universe and the many wonders of it that we have barely been able to get a glimpse.  The careful placement of our own planet in relation to the sun.  The sun and moon and the seasons and tides.  Sunsets, sunrises, mountains, beaches, jungles and desserts.  There are the animals and all the plants and their great varieties and uniqueness.  There is such glory in it all!

Then ... there is man.

I find myself wondering, did God really save His best work for last?  I know man and I have a hard time believing it is His best work by comparison.  But that is the human side of me talking, the one with the sin nature that hides behind a statement like "keeping it real".  Have you seen what man will do to Creation? Or even worse, to each other?

Yes.  And I can still answer that man is God's best work.  All of the glory of Creation was made to suite God and as a nest for man.  I believe that there is nothing more precious, more desired, more treasured by God in all of Creation than a man who's heart is given to Him, who desires God moment-by-moment, who intentionally walks with God, who listens and shares all that is in his heart, who fears that he might have a time of not walking with God and he works purposefully to protect it above all else in life.  I believe everything that is with regard to man is for this one purpose, that a man would choose and love God more than all else in Creation.

Anything that happens to this man in this world does not matter except where it is related to God's Word or God's direction.  All else falls away.  This state of oneness with God is to be our goal.  All our spiritual practices should build to these times.  These moments might come and go, but the more we aim at it, the longer and longer each moment will become until they are more than mere moments.  Minutes of oneness will become hours and hours will become days.  Days will become weeks, weeks will become months, and months will become years.  ...  I can't imagine walking with God in communion, a singleness of communication, feeling His complete Presence, and knowing His leadership for a year, a month, a week, or even a full day.  "What a wretched man I am!"  I pray that I can develop more consistent and intentional habits to get me to this goal.

No comments: