Thursday, March 26, 2015

Faithless or Faithful?

Judges 6: 39 Then Gideon said to God, “Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece, but this time make the fleece dry and let the ground be covered with dew.” 40 That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew.
The story of Gideon has always been relayed to me as an example of a person who lacks faith.  Yet, my discernment since a teenager was that Gideon was one of great faith, yet lacked self-confidence - someone with whom I can identify.  Note that the real story of faithfulness herein is that of God.  When Gideon requested The Angel of the Lord to wait until he could prepare a sacrifice, the angel did so.  When Gideon prayed asking God to give him a sign, God was faithful - twice.  God even gave Gideon a sign immediately before the nighttime "attack" by sending him into the camp and overhearing a dream foreshadowing a great victory by Gideon and his army.  Of course, we know that the battle was the Lord's and Gideon acknowledged that fact. 
Why don't we depend on God like Gideon did?  Is it better to follow our own logic and reason or request a sign from God?  I can only guarantee a few things in life: death, taxes, and the fact that there is a 0% chance that I'm making 100% Godly decisions.  Why in the world would I not follow in Gideon's footsteps and ask for God's guidance.  Yes God commanded Gideon into battle.  If Gideon lacked the faith to follow through, would he have culled his army as God commanded?  I wouldn't have - its not rational to attack a superior force with inferior numbers in the first place.  Would he have attacked armed with torches, jars, and trumpets?  I wouldn't have, I would have been leading people on a suicide mission. 
Clearly God honored Gideon's request for signs that he was on the right track.  I think it prudent that before he led 300 people into battle, that he know that God is with him.  Like Gideon, I need constant assurance that I am following God.  Not because I lack faith in God, but because I lack faith in my own ability to make Godly decisions.  God honored Gideon's requests and in the end God was honored and glorified.  I would do well to do the same such that God is honored by my decisions.  I don't need to decide what to do, I simply need to ensure that I'm doing what God has told me to do.  Signs are a way to sort out His will vs my own desires and the desires of others. 
How about you?  Are you really counting on God today?  Do you have a sign that He is with you?  If not, what's preventing you from asking?

1 comment:

Chris said...

I left a long comment but it got lost. I really like this post.

"Not because I lack faith in God, but because I lack faith in my own ability to make Godly decisions." I wonder how much Christian work is left undone because of this.

We ask ourselves so many questions: Is this really what God wants ME to do? Or is this what I want to do? I envy those who have had great calls from God. I once heard a preacher talk about his call to preach. He shared how he just happen to be in a church that evening and he was usually going out drinking with friends every night. But he felt God call him to the alter that night, so he went, but then he felt like God wouldn't let him get off that alter until he would either declare to go into the ministry or as he put it, "I was afraid I would die." He will always look back and know he was called. Gideon could always look back and know, he was being sent.

Many times I long for such a confidence in a call.