Thursday, February 18, 2016

Why do bad things happen

Gen 2:  15The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.   16And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
Gen 3: 19By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.”

I always wonder why bad things happen to seemingly undeserving people after all it seems like a God who loves us would want only good things for us.  I'm mindful, however, that Genesis chapter two reveals that God's intent all along was for us to simply live in his creation as obedient people in relationship with him.  Can you imagine literally walking with God in the cool of the evening? (Gen 3:8).  It wasn't until sin came into the world that our relationship with God was broken and death entered into creation.  We barely get into Genesis chapter four and barely into the second generation of mankind before we see the first innocent victim of murder.  Why does Abel die?  Did he deserve it?  I suppose one could argue that we all deserve death (Ro 2:23 and 6:23), but did Abel deserve to be murdered an apparently young man, it doesn't seem so.  Clearly Cain had the freedom of choice to act out of a jealous rage and kill his brother who was an apparently innocent victim. 
So I don't know exactly why bad things happen except long ago when sin entered an otherwise perfect creation, that sin set into motion an endless cycle of poor decisions by people throughout history which has consumed otherwise innocent victims in its wake. 
I'm comforted, however, that Romans 6:23 doesn't have a period after "the wages of sin is death."  Instead there is the singularly most important comma in all of history followed by a statement of hope in Christ.  We who have taken up the yoke of Christ have hope beyond all of the decisions we and those around us have made.  Christ has conquered death and offers us His victory.  So today rather than dwell on the negative, I choose to cling to the great promise Jesus made in John 14:1-4:1“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2There is more than enough room in my Father’s home.a If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?b 3When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. 4And you know the way to where I am going.”


No comments: