Monday, February 22, 2016

Risen


This morning my mind is still reflecting on the movie Risen that we went to see last night.  I told Julie that overall, I was disappointed in the movie, maybe because it was very methodical and steadfast in its movement.  I almost used the word “slow”.  But I think this has more to do with my movie expectations set by others than what this movie’s intent was reaching towards.  If I compare it to War Room, I’d have to say it is a better movie production.  Although, that old woman’s prayer at the end of that movie will be very hard for anyone to top.

A key element in this movie is an unbeliever’s journey from killing Jesus to recognizing that He is much more than any other crucified person.  The difference between this man and any person today is he gets to see and talk with the risen Jesus.  The similarity is the draw of the believers to Jesus.  He is a man very tired of fighting and his only goal is to have a day without death.  He has become unmoved by death because he has seen so much of it.

I like the very personal aspect of the movie.  This is a man’s personal discovery of who Jesus is and it is the change within him.  It is his rejection of all his life values in the pursuit and his peace with it.

For me, seeing the reality of people walking with the risen Christ brings it home.  That really happened.  He did come back from the dead and walk with them.  They witnessed Jesus do miracles in their time with Him.  I’ve witnessed what I believe to be miracles, but they seem so subtle when compared to seeing a blind man see, the lame to walk, or a leper healed.  This doesn’t mean they are any less miraculous though.

Overall, the feel of the movie makes me ask the question: what barriers exist in my life that keep me from believing in Jesus as the son of God with every cell of my body and every fiber of my being?  Where does doubt live and what is the fear tied to that doubt?  For those of us who believe, we must know and not think we know.

There are some obvious draws to things we see and know today.  The Shawl of Turin makes a show and the portrayal of Jesus dead on the cross is a human replica of every Jesus on the cross in every Catholic Church that I have ever entered.  

No comments: