Thursday, February 25, 2016

Courageous Leadership

Luke 17: 1Jesus said to his disciples: “Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come. 2It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble. 3So watch yourselves.
“If your brother or sistera sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them.

I love teaching and serving with the youth in my church for so many reasons, but once in a while service has its difficulties.  Having to reprimand a misbehaving youth seems simple until one chooses to rebel against authority and avoid accountability.  Through the years I've witnessed several who chose to drop out of youth rather than submit to authority and these events always lead me to second guess my own behavior.  Was I unfair?  Did I over-react?  Knowing myself, both are likely.  Yet, when one particular youth is disruptive to the event, particularly if it is prayer or scripture reading, they deserve quick and decisive accountability.  Jesus expressed no patience with those who become stumbling blocks to others and it is very difficult to hold a misbehaving person accountable without becoming a stumbling block to them. 
The key is the continuance of the relationship is through repentance and forgiveness.  Note the conditional statement here which is often ignored in today's mindless rants on social media.  Yes we are commanded to forgive, but forgiveness demands repentance.  The person who was interrupting the event needs to own that sin as does one who rebukes disproportionately (IF a trusted witness bears testimony to an over-reaction.  Complaints by the original transgressor about mistreatment aren't a trustworthy source.) 
Its unfortunate that today's society shuns accountability as I fear many will be lost because of the stumbling blocks who are not held accountable.  So, while the current situation on my heart is not one in my own church, I pray for those in difficult leadership situations who are confronted with unrepentant interrupters.  I pray that this situation will not fester into a long-term stumbling block for anyone, that reason may follow, and fellowship be restored such that growth in Christ may continue for all involved. 

No comments: