Friday, February 12, 2016

Simple Prayer for Today

John 16:23  Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.

I continue to reflect on some one-liners that I heard while working an Emmaus walk a couple of weeks ago.  One was "Pray your steps.  Your heart, head, and feet need to be in the same place."  At first, it wasn't clear what this person was talking about, but upon reflection, it is as simple as taking everything to God in prayer.  Everything we desire, think, and do each and every day should be subject to prayer and yielded to God.  Often we relegate our prayer lives to those things we cannot control: health and death, while we assume control of all the rest of the aspects of our busy lives.  Yet nothing in our life escapes God's attention nor is it unimportant to Him.  I believe we need to pray about all of our activities, desires, and thoughts such that God can reveal His will in everything. 
Today my prayer is simple and singularly focused on my friends Andrew, Ben and Diana.  Everything else in life right now has faded to the point of being unimportant and irrelevant.   I don't know exactly why tragedies occur especially in the lives of the undeserving, but I take the next step in confidence knowing that God loves them and is with them through all of life including this overwhelming event.  May He provide miraculous comfort and peace in the midst of this storm as He has done faithfully before.   

No comments: