Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Old Time Religion


For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.  They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. – 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Isn’t this a verse for our times!  A time when the church puts aside clear teaching to have ministers that suit society and not the written Word of God.  A time when people are encouraged to live how they want to live, rather than live in faith, to make them happy.  A time when people of a race are encouraged by their church to promote racism and rebellion against those who keep the law.  A time when a primeval religion using beheadings and who treat women as slaves or lower class would be allowed to promote itself while the religion of peace, love, and forgiveness is obscured and opposed in all possible ways.

The people gather around them those who tell them what they want to hear. 

Restore us, O Lord God of hosts!  Let Your face shine, that we may be saved!” – Ps 80:19
Will You not revive us again, that Your people may rejoice in You?” – Ps 85:6

The time is now Christian.  “Come near to God and He will come near to you.  Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded” (James 4:8).  Let us not be double-minded with thoughts into the world and also into the Words of God, His sound doctrine.  Decide today that there is only one authority and one truth.  Draw near to God - “Seek and you will find”.  May God “Create in me a clean heart … and renew a right spirit within me” (Ps 51:10).

Maybe we need to sing the old songs again. 
Now give me that old time religion
Give me that old time religion
Give me that old time religion
And it's good enough for me
Now it will take us all to heaven
It will take us all to heaven
It will take us all to heaven
And it’s good enough for me

O Lord, I pray that I would long for Your Words, Your sound doctrine and not want to only hear what I want to hear, but what You want to proclain.  Lord I pray that I would seek You in all things and crave for revival in my heart.  Lord, revive me again!  Amen.

No comments: