Thursday, September 24, 2015

Take Comfort


The Lord hears our cry.

From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. – Psalm 61:2

Wherever we may be physically, we can be sure that we can reach out to God.  But more importantly, wherever we may be spiritually, we can be sure that we can reach out to God.  We might be far from the Temple as David seems to be indicating here, our hearts may be far from where God is, but we can cry out to Him for help and He hears us.

When we cry out, usually it is when we are overwhelmed.  We are often overwhelmed with fear and our hearts grow weak.  We feel insecure.  We doubt what we do and we wonder what tomorrow will be like.  How will we make it?  We are overwhelmed with what we don’t know.

What is our cry?  Is it that God would lead us to the rock?  I can promise you that no matter how high you climb, your heart will stay overwhelmed.  We can’t physically change the depth of our own heart.  No, we are crying that God would take our heart away to His spiritual rock.  I prefer to cry that God would carry me to Himself, a place much higher than I, where there is refuge, safety and all is well.  “The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in Whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” (Ps 18:2) 

The Lord is a rock, the foundation that never moves.  We can rest upon Him.  All that we are can be built upon this rock and when it is built upon it, it will stand. (Mt 7:24)  Those who choose to build upon their own foundation will eventually be cracked apart upon His foundation.  Men either build upon Him or break upon Him. 

Wherever we are spiritually, we can call upon the Lord.  When we call, it can be when we are overwhelmed, full of fear, and consumed with doubt.  What we cry for is for the Lord to carry us, lead us, to where He lives, where truth exists.  Rest comfortably in confidence today, knowing God hears you and will take you to Himself when you ask.

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His ears are attentive to their cry. – Psalm 34:15.

No comments: