Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Struggling

Heb 12: In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.

Sometimes I really struggle.  Other times, I'm content to be lazy.  I'm talking about struggling against sin.  Satan has sold us a lie that Christianity is an easy road.  I believe my life is way better because I'm a Christian, but it comes at a price.  Part of that price is a struggle against sin.  I struggle to eat right, to put others before myself, to avoid materialism, and so on.  Yet, do I really struggle that hard to break free of sin?  I confess its easier to simply talk about the sins of others than to confront the sin in my own life. 
The writer of Hebrews reminds us that struggling against sin is a life and death issue.  We have the benefit, however, of having the Holy Spirit within us that can guide our choices and lead us away from sin IF we have the courage and strength to make the decisions we know to be best - those that honor God.  Yet I struggle.  I struggle to put away the temptation of the flesh with its promise to provide immediate satisfaction while tearing us down in the long run.  I need to step up my game.  I'm not called to a life of luxury and ease.  I'm called to be like Jesus.  I need to do better.  I need to have the courage and forthrightness to admit my faults and confront them head on with the knowledge that I don't go into battle against my sinful self unarmed, but accompanied by God.  Only through His grace can I defeat what is hardened within me.
I need to fight harder.  I need to pray more diligently not for comfort, but for discipline to continue to fight through what holds me back from being the warrior God needs today.  I need to get out of my comfort zone and get in the fight and do so with gusto.  I need to quit picturing "nice Jesus" as a devotion recently posted by Christ Garick put it and focus on confrontational Jesus who stood against sin - not the remote sins of others, but my own.   

1 comment:

Chris said...

A few Vance Havner quotes:
"We are not going to move this world by criticism of it nor conformity to it, but by the combustion within it of lives ignited by the Spirit of God."

"We may never be martyrs but we can die to self, to sin, to the world, to our plans and ambitions. That is the significance of baptism; we died with Christ and rose to new life."

"It is better to die for a conviction than to live by compromise."