Saturday, August 1, 2015

Judgement

Matt 7:1  "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

Of all verses in scripture, perhaps this is the one that is pulled out of context and misused the most.  In the ongoing raging debate regarding sexual immorality (homosexuality is only the most recent in a long struggle at least in this country), so many have quoted this verse as it pertains to actions.  That is fundamentally false as we are told to test the actions and words of others (Matt 7:16).  I believe this verse refers to two specific forms of judgment.  First, determining that a specific person, ethnic group, or sinners or group of sinners is unworthy of the gospel message is the worst form of judgment. 
The other form is to jump to conclusions about a person's motivations.  This week, one particular staff member discovered that the praise band from Navarre FUMC is doing music for the ICM and lashed out stating that Ryan had arranged it as retribution against our church.  What an absurd notion!  Poor Ryan has endured one of his Sunday School and small group leaders gossiping about him most of the summer and now a staff member is judging his motivation.  Note here that it was Patrick who arranged the band, not Ryan, although I'm sure Ryan suggested it as Patrick scrambled to put the event together. 
To be clear, Ryan just simply didn't like playing in the same band as Rob Romans.  Partly his own fault in terms of being a harsh judge of character and having high demands for those leading in worship.  When the Navarre opportunity came along, Ryan (and Reja and I) prayed about it for several months before finally taking the opportunity presented.  Ryan left for a better opportunity, not as retribution.  The band is coming back because we don't have one that would be available to play.  It's irritating that our staff holds a grudge especially since Reja and I have remained committed to our church and have never seen him play at Navarre except one Christmas eve that didn't conflict with our own church.  No one knows of our sacrifice, but at least two or three staff members still blame us for a lack of commitment. 
This is the reason I've been in a rage against critical spirits.  I'm tired of Christians constantly looking for reasons to tear each other down.  As you said so well in your 30 July Blog, we aren't at war against each other, we're at war against satan.  Our critical nature, however, gives satan a foothold in the church to tear each other down, making our overall witness irrelevant. 
I don't plan to confront anyone, although I'm praying that if it does come up, God will give me words of grace and true accountability NOT retribution.  I'm glad Ryan gets to go off to school and escape the churn here, but I'm trying to use this as a teachable moment for one who is called to work with us "Christians."  We don't always act like it and I worry about our testimony when we establish a trend of being a gossip. 
Let us commit to ensuring we're (as you often say) being a measure of God's grace in each encounter with God's children each and every day.  Let us keep our frustrations and criticisms between us and pray earnestly over them to see if it is God calling us to intervene or our own sinful nature that has overtaken us. 
Obviously not putting this one on FB.  My last one I didn't post here as I didn't want you to think it was aimed in any way in your direction. 
Praying myself up to face this day with a positive attitude, open mind and heart.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I agree that that verse is so often misused. I find that it is used most often by those who have made a decision away from God and rather than face the responsibility of their actions, they prefer to make a defense using this verse. As we discussed, it is burdensome to me that Ryan has to see this in the church staff, but then I find myself wondering if God allow it so that he would see firsthand how disruptive it is to the laity of the church. Supposing that his call to pastorship comes to fruition, gaining experience at how staff relations or actions affect witness is a good lesson. (Just trying to “look on the bright side of life” as they sing at the end of Monty Python’s The Life of Brian.)

I do still consider that the most prudent thing Ryan can do is approach Rue and have a personal confrontation. One, Rue talked about Ryan is a disparaging way with another staff member without Ryan present (gossip); Two, Rue obviously doesn’t understand Ryan’s character or why he went to Navarre. Both can be settled at one time. I think it is Biblical to do this. Also, it takes courage to confront someone and maybe this is the lesson for Ryan in this.

Unknown said...

I agree that the best thing to do is to confront Rew and ensure he understands the impact of his groundless accusation.

I also want this to be a lesson for us all. it's easy to be critical and judgmental. IT takes more energy to look for the good, yet I believe for the health and unity of the church, we must do exactly that - look for, find, and celebrate the good and ignore the bad. constantly looking for and critiquing the bad is exhausting and has repercussions we can't possibly know.

Chris said...

I agree that it is incredibly important for us, as Christians, to be positive and full of joy. We should naturally be this way. I think it is unnatural for a Christian to look like they been sucking on persimmons all day, although I do too often have that look.

I think the truth is that everyone wants to have a purpose and be used. When they are in that purpose they are joyful and positive. No one wants to be forgotten and wonder why they are alive. Most often, I believe negativity comes from a lack of this thing. Then, when we see it in others we get envious or even jealous because our love relationship is improper. And we've let that love relationship sour because our purpose is lost. Again, I believe most people react negatively as a result of this.

My most sincere prayer is that I know my purpose, that it is a direct calling from Jesus, and that I have the courage to follow it. If someone else's purpose takes them to another place, I should be excited for them because they have a purpose and that they are following God in it. I might miss them, but my wants are very very secondary to those of God and the other person. We are all tacing and jibing as we sail towards our destination. It is unwise to consider that we'd all always be on the same tac or jibe.