Thursday, August 20, 2015

Weakness


I have always wondered what this verse’s intended meaning was.  I’ve never believed that it was Paul’s intent to boast of the things he was bad at doing.  So, this verse has to be read in context.  Paul speaks directly before this sentence of the many things he has endured in trying to preach the gospel of Christ to anyone anywhere.  He does not glory in these hardships.  He is not saying, “Look at my wounds”.  However, because there are false teachers who are trying to reduce his influence by wounding his character, he feels compelled to give an account of his labors and sufferings. 

Unfortunately, this has happened in my own family and Julie and I have found it necessary to give an account of our labors and sufferings to all members in my family just to verify any false intent provided by someone seeking to boast themselves.  This is very stressful to us.  I have no doubt that this aspect was very stressful to Paul as well.  What had he done but work diligently and single-mindedly to preach Christ to everyone?  Yet, here he was having to engage somewhat in defending his character to those who would preach Christ under false pretense.  They served themselves above the church and that is the blasphemy of the church that Jesus protested so strongly against.

Yet, does Paul boast or glory in his weakness?  No.  He is saying here that if he has to boast of his trials and tribulations, then he will boast of these sufferings that the world would consider failures or weakness, so as to show the dimension of his love through work for the gospel of Christ the Son of the one true living God and of Christ's love for him having delivered him through so much when he could do nothing.  “Let me tell you how great my God is and what He has delivered me through!”  Who can compare their God story to Paul’s, especially if you were insincere of heart regarding to whom you wanted to get position and glory?

A few verses later, Paul says that God speaks to him saying “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”  Whether that weakness is being put down by men falsely for having a false intent or wrongful character or having a “thorn” in his physical body he couldn’t break, God says His grace is enough.  We are to rest in the salvation we do not deserve and could not provide on our own.  That salvation, that power of God, is sufficient for me.  "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me." (Ps 23:4)  I should have the ability to stand in peace even if the whole world hates me and I hate my own sinful body.  His provision of grace to an undeserved sinner is enough and it will always be enough.  

No comments: