Monday, October 20, 2014

Psalms 59 (Part V)

14 They return at evening,
    snarling like dogs,
    and prowl about the city.
15 They wander about for food
    and howl if not satisfied.
16 But I will sing of your strength,
    in the morning I will sing of your love;
for you are my fortress,
    my refuge in times of trouble.
17 You are my strength, I sing praise to you;
    you, God, are my fortress,
    my God on whom I can rely.

David contrasts his enemies and himself.  One is demanding, gritting his teeth, looking for a way to kill like a pack of wild dogs.  The other is singing about the strength of God and how much He loves.  This contrast is striking.  To be singing, praising God in the morning while in the face of an evil enemy outside your door is a testimony of faith. 

He sings because God is His safety and defense and cares for and covers him in times of attack.  I get the idea that he is residing into the care of His Lord.  He is depending upon the Lord and the Lord alone for an escape.  This one thing, this one aspect of relationship with our glorious God, is what makes us strong.  No matter how weak we are here, when we realize and accept that our strength can only come from God and only God can deliver us, defend us, decide for us what is our best today and tomorrow, we gain strength. 

When we put the fight in the Lord's hand, that's when the real fight begins.  David knew this from his experience with Goliath.  "The battle is the Lord's" he declared.  And so we must also.

No comments: