Friday, October 10, 2014

Psalms 59 (Part II)

You, Lord God Almighty,
    You who are the God of Israel,
    rouse Yourself to punish all the nations;
    show no mercy to wicked traitors.
They return at evening,
    snarling like dogs,
    and prowl about the city.

David sees men waiting to kill him at all times of the day and night.  Likewise, the wicked one sits outside my door and waits for the time to strike me.  He looks for any crack, any weakness.  And my cry must be for God to awaken and not to sleep on my plight.  But I find even asking in boldness, as David cries out here, is so very difficult for me.  How can I speak to God to awaken or be aware of those who seek to destroy me?  Of course He knows, I reason to myself, He'll deal with them if He wants.  But David does more than that with his conversation.  David is like the kid pulling on the pants leg of a father, he just keeps on trying to call the father's attention to him, the father continues working, but he keeps pulling on that leg, "Daaaddd!"   Soon, the father pays attention to him.  Is the child in error for wanting his father's attention?  Of course not.  And, of course the father will do as he wants.  David spoke to God plainly.  Something I need to be willing to do as well.

See what they spew from their mouths—
    the words from their lips are sharp as swords,
    and they think, “Who can hear us?”

So often I am appalled at what I hear on radio or TV.  We can't believe what people are willing to say or do nowadays with absolutely no shame, but even more repulsively, they do these things with pride!  They think, who can hear us, because they do not know or they do know and choose not to believe that there is a God.  And if they convince themselves that there is no God, offending Christians becomes a sport.

But you laugh at them, Lord;
    you scoff at all those nations.

Who is man that he can threaten God?  In Psalms 8 David asks God, "What is man that You are mindful of him?"  God does not fear man, in fact, God does not fear.  Likewise, perfect love has no fear.  Why then does man speak as if to threaten God?  Only to hope to convince himself that there is no God.  The person who curses God or God's children is the most fearful person, living dead in their sins with no hope for a chance out.

I do not read this verse with the idea that God laughs or mocks even His evil children.  I believe God wants and is willing up until their last breath to offer them salvation.  I read this in the context that God has absolutely no concern regarding the threatening words of man.  They are empty; they have no power; they have no weight.

No comments: