Monday, October 13, 2014

Psalms 59 (Part III)

You are my strength, I watch for You;
    You, God, are my fortress,
10 my God on Whom I can rely.
    God will go before me
    and will let me gloat over those who slander me.

When I read this, I get the sense that time has passed between verses 1 - 8 and these verses, but they are written together.  David is exposing the greatest of praying truths that Jesus spoke to while teaching.  22 Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." - Hebrew 11:22-24

Wow.  When we pray, we should KNOW that the things we need to do the will of our heavenly Father have already been given to us.  The only thing we need more of is faith.  "Have faith in God."  These verses are striking to me because they do not disseminate for what we ought to pray.  It does not say that only if you pray for this or that will it be done.  The assumption I see is that if you have faith in God and are therefore close to Him you would only pray for those things that you know are in His will, but that is an assumption not stated in these verse.  It simply says that if you ask with no doubt, it will happen.  But if you have the slightest doubt, even as much as a mustard seed, don't count on it.

David exhibits this type of prayer here.  He prays about what his situation is then he says confidently, "You are my strength" and "You are my fortress".  He says confidently "I watch for You" knowing that God WILL intervene.  "God WILL go before me", there is no doubt in that statement.  And then the pinnacle of trust in His Lord he declares, before it has happened, "God ... will let me gloat over those who slander me."  He speaks as though it has already happened or as if it is definitely going to happen, it's just a matter of when.

How do you pray today?  What doubts continue to creep into your thoughts and prayers?  Work to keep them away.  Reaffirm to yourself all that God has done for you, how much He loves you, that He listens to you, that He is on your side  and for you, that He will never forsake you.  Know these things, then pray confidently, reaffirming your confidence in God between each request.  We must learn to trust God, to increase our faith in His deliverance, to increase our faith in His Word.  If we do not doubt in our hearts but believe that what we ask will happen, it will be done for us.

No comments: