Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Adding Value to Others (Part III)

How will you know when you are truly valuing people? What are some road signs?

1. You believe in them before they believe in you. The relational leaders believe in others first. That’s how they partner with them. Christ chose his disciples for who they could become, not as they were. You must initiate belief in others. Where they question, listen and give confidence. Where they question, listen and instill hope. Where they question, listen and show them love.

When you believe in people first and lift them up, you give them a reputation to uphold.

2. We serve them before they serve us. We initiate serving. The world waits to be served. The world is saying, “What can you do for me?” How do you know when you are a true servant? It’s easy, you don’t mind serving. It doesn’t grate on you. Actually, you find that it empowers you.

The purpose of life is not to win, but to grow and share. When you stand at the end of your life, you will get more satisfaction from the pleasure that you have brought into other people’s lives, than from the time that you outdid and defeated them.

I get more pleasure out of teaching my kids and watching them win than I ever got from winning myself. I love coaching kids in football. There is much more enjoyment in sharing all that I know and watching them succeed than there ever has been in not sharing and winning for myself. I don’t think it’s an old age thing, but I do think it’s a mature thing. When we finish life, the things that will give us the greatest joy are not our victories, but the victories that other people had because we came along side of them and partnered with them.

No comments: