Thursday, October 2, 2014

Forgiveness

Matt 6:  12 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]
    but deliver us from the evil one.[b]

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
 
I've always had two rules:  we don't interrupt God when he speaks to us (when someone is reading scripture, you better pay attention or suffer the wrath of Russ) and we don't interrupt those who are speaking to God.  It's interesting that Jesus interrupts an example on how to pray with a dire warning:  If we fail to forgive others, then we cannot be forgiven.  Woe to me, a sinner, who have I failed to forgive?
Last night during the Study & discussion time, a question was asked about how we as humans have the authority to forgive.  I believe the point was that forgiveness ultimately flows from Christ, but it seemed that the point wasn't well made, and the discussion quickly began to get deep into theology of our liturgy for communion (wherein we pronounce sins as being forgiven).  Ultimately the question was about the value of confession to others. 
You all know that I tend to be simple-minded and can't grasp the deep mystery of theology.  Fortunately for me, Christ said in Luke 18 "“Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”   Therefore, I see forgiveness as a simple concept.  If someone sins against me, I must forgive them, period.  When someone confesses their sins to me, I can pronounce the forgiveness they have already received from Christ.  It is clear to me that atonement (payment for sin) flows from the sacrifice of Christ.  Forgiveness flows from our decision to confess and repent.  Confession is required as is repentance.  Confession to others adds the value of accountability. 
Don't make the concept harder than it is, because the truly hard part is to be honest with myself about my failings.  We tend to be blind to our faults and failures.  Sometimes they are obvious such as when we run a boat into a bridge (sorry Ryan!).  Usually, however, at least for me, my failures are secret and not obvious.  They are attitudes about others that devalue them, or laziness to earnestly seek and patiently wait upon the Lord for direction. 
Let's not debate the simple, instead lets focus on the hard.  Let's develop an accountability partner whom we can trust and confide and open ourselves up to the Holy Spirit and let him move us on toward perfection by breaking down those things that are not Christ-like and remolding us in His image. 

2 comments:

Chris said...

Forgiveness is only a difficult concept because it is hard for US to do. The act of forgiveness is simply the action of love. God, being love, always forgives. He is only limited by the choices of those who need forgiveness. If we want to be Christ-like, we will always forgive. I believe the reason God says leave the alter and go forgive your brother is its a heart condition problem on your part, your heart is insincere and isn't deep in love with your brother. And here where God says He will not forgive you if you don't forgive others is similar, how are you Christ-like if you hold onto other's sin for your man-perceived benefit while asking for your sin to be released? ... hhhmmmmm ... it's difficult for us humans isn't it? But for God, it's a natural outpouring of his love. When you are in your right heart, overflowing in love, there is no thought to not forgiving another. It is natural. I pray we can always stay in our right heart.

Chris said...

But, to the question of our authority to forgive, I don't believe we have the authority to forgive someone of their sins except in how they relate to us. If someone sins against me, then I can decide to forgiven them or not to forgive them for their offenses to me, but not to God. This is why I have some issues with the Catholic church and their confession booths. How can a priest decide if I can be forgiven and then prescribe for me a penitence? If I don't do the penitence am I less forgiven? Doesn't the requirement of a penitence indicate that God's forgiveness is incomplete? I believe only God can forgive a sin against God. It doesn't matter if I've heard your confession to God and believe you because humans are just too good at lying. God, who sees the heart, is the only one who knows if your heart is truly repentive. And so, only He can forgive a sin against Him.