Thursday, October 9, 2014

Psalms 59 (Part I)

1 Deliver me from my enemies, O God;
    be my fortress against those who are attacking me.
Deliver me from evildoers
    and save me from those who are after my blood.

David wrote this while Saul had sent men to watch his house and look for a time to kill him (1 Samuel 19). 

3 See how they lie in wait for me!
    Fierce men conspire against me
    for no offense or sin of mine, Lord.
I have done no wrong, yet they are ready to attack me.
    Arise to help me; look on my plight!

Today, in America, this isn't necessarily the situation in relation to other men.  Very few of us have people waiting outside our homes to kill us.  But this is very much the way it is in relation to our enemy, Satan, who "lies in wait" conspiring against us.  He attacks us every and any where he can find a way.  He is ready at all times and he is after our blood, our life.  He desperately wants to take everything from you, materially, physically, mentally, and especially spiritually.  The sin binds our hands, then Satan blinds us.  His goal is your ruination.  And in so doing he wants, more than anything, his single most desire, the thing that drives his passion and his pursuit, is for you to not have faith in the living Lord.

Our faith begins with a cry to our God, "Deliver me from my enemies, O God!!"  Through this cry we shout that only God can protect us; all of our faith is in Him and Him alone.  We are in the battle of fear vs faith.  We want to know that our God will deliver us but we also can feel the attack in our bodies and the doubts in our thoughts.  So we cry out desperately to stand on faith asking God to be true to His Word that He is always for us and will not forsake us, no matter how everything around us looks and what everyone around is saying.  We choose to believe and to say "I will put all of myself into my Lord's hand that He may do what He wills to do."

Our God is faithful.

No comments: