Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Red Sea


Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.  The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” – Exodus 14:13-14

I find that statement by Moses very inspiring.  The three verses before this is the Israelites complaining with dire hysteria that they are going to die and were better off as slaves.  And Moses, fully confident and believing in the delivery of them by the Lord says this before he knows what God will do.  That is faith.  That is the kind of faith I want to carry within me at all times.  No matter what the problem or conflict is, I want to be able to say confidently that the Lord is fighting for me and if I will be still I will see the deliverance He brings me.

With that, the Lord parts the Red Sea and the Israelites walk across on dry land.  Mercy and grace are extended to the Israelites, even in their panic and unbelief.  Once across, the Lord crushes the enemies of His people with the very Red Sea He parted.

I find it not mere coincidence that the body of water parted is the Red Sea.  The Lord sent Jesus to live with the Israelites.  He extended mercy and grace to them in their unbelief.  However, this time He provided a red sea that saves those who believe in Him.  That red sea is the blood Jesus bled as He died.  Jesus is willing to substitute that death, His shed life, for all our sins and God is willing to accept it.  It is only by walking in the red sea that we are saved, not by walking on the dry land beneath it.

Jesus fought for us and all we have to do is be still and know the Lord delivered us.  We are delivered today, tomorrow and for all eternity.  Stand firm on this.  Know it confidently.  Believe as Moses did, in the midst of doubt, panic and hysteria, know that the Lord delivers you. 

I hear the Savior say,
“Thy strength indeed is small;
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all.”

Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

Lord, help me today to walk in Your sacrifice for me.  Help me to have a full faith that I am not left alone, that You are with me at all times, every hour, every minute, every second.  You will deliver Your son today and everyday.  Thank you for saving me, a sinner.  Though the blood of Christ my redeemer I pray, Amen.

No comments: