Thursday, January 7, 2016

God Knows Best

Jer 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

We know from scripture that there will be an end to this ongoing spiritual battle and in that end, God wins.  We also know that God's intention was never for us to get locked in this pitched battle, but since we chose to sin, God has been responding ever since the first sin to reconcile a lost world to Himself.  We also know that only God perfectly knows our own past and future and completely sees our present circumstances.  These realizations led Leslie Weatherhead to develop an excellent five part sermon series on what he saw as three aspects to God's will: God's ultimate will, His intentional will, and His circumstantial will. 
God's circumstantial will is the answer to "what would Jesus do" in each and every decision of our lives.  Resources are all over the map on just exactly how many decisions the average adult makes in a day quoting numbers from 5000-35000.  Many are mundane such as a realization that one is thirsty and making tens of decisions of when and how to get up, where to go for refreshment, what kind to get, how much ice, how much liquid, when to take the first sip, how much to sip, etc.  Others are life changing such as whom to marry, when, etc.  Often we analyze, pray over, and seek advice for life's major decisions, yet often these major decisions are heavily influenced by tens of thousands of minor decisions we make leading up to the major ones.  Deciding on a college and a major, for instance hinges on 12 years or more of scholastic decisions resulting in grades and test scores. 
I've never met a Christian who would argue with the statement that "God knows best," yet do we seek him at the right times?  Do we allow Him to guide each and every minor decision we make such that when a major decision is required, we know how to seek His guidance and hear His still small voice?  I confess that often I simply don't want to bother an extremely busy God who is intervening in so many tragedies and huge decisions in His creation, but that can limit God's advice and my options when I do.  For instance, if I begin painting a floor with all the right materials and tools, yet plan the execution poorly, I can end up in the corner of the room with no way out.  Crying out to God for options at that point and blaming Him for my circumstances is too late and the blame misplaced.  A series of what seemed to be minor decisions made without seeking God led to a tragedy that limited God's options.  Obviously He can always miraculously recover, but I think often He allows us to learn from our mistakes. 
I pray that I don't paint myself into a corner in life and then cry out to a high and Holy God to fix my mess.  May I be a person in constant prayer and obedience instead.  I know scripture doesn't promise that storms in life won't happen, but I want to be securely anchored into The One who can calm the storms when they happen. 

No comments: