Friday, January 1, 2016

Leaning


What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms!
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms!

One afternoon in 1887, music teacher A. J. Showalter dismissed his class and returned to his rooming house in Hartsville, Alabama.  There he found letters from 2 former students, each with a similar story. Both of them had lost their wives, and both wives had died on the same day.  Showalter began writing letters of condolence.  The Scripture that came to mind was Deuteronomy 33:26-27, the assurance of God's "everlasting arms" supporting us.

Then he wrote a 3rd letter, to Elisha Hoffman, a hymn writer in Pennsylvania.  Showalter suggested that Hoffman write a hymn on that theme.  He even suggested the wording of the chorus.  Hoffman responded quickly with 3 stanzas and Showalter supplied the music.  (As recorded by Great Songs of Faith by Brown & Norton)
O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms!
O how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms!

Never in our entire lives, have my wife and I ever felt such a burden of bitterness and hate towards us for trying to stand faithfully on the Words of God.  Many ridicule us for trying to live lives of forgiveness for one another and others.  Some would quickly ridicule us for even making that statement saying we don’t live that way.  Some have ridiculed us for speaking openly how going with a "God must be in this and do it or it will fail" approach to our personal lives.  I have never seen hearts turn so quickly and decisively against me.  Yet, it is recorded in Matthew 11:29-30 that Jesus said "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

What have I to dread?  What have I to fear?
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms!
I have peace complete with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms!

Matthew Henry comments: “Christ invites all to come to him for rest to their souls.  He alone gives this invitation; men come to him, when, feeling their guilt and misery, and believing his love and power to help, they seek him in fervent prayer.  Thus it is the duty and interest of weary and heavy-laden sinners, to come to Jesus Christ.  This is the gospel call; Whoever will, let him come.  All who thus come will receive rest as Christ's gift, and obtain peace and comfort in their hearts.  But in coming to him they must take his yoke, and submit to his authority.  They must learn of him all things, as to their comfort and obedience.  He accepts the willing servant, however imperfect the services.  Here we may find rest for our souls, and here only.  Nor need we fear his yoke.  His commandments are holy, just, and good.  It requires self-denial, and exposes to difficulties, but this is abundantly repaid, even in this world, by inward peace and joy.  It is a yoke that is lined with love.  So powerful are the assistances he gives us, so suitable the encouragements, and so strong the consolations to be found in the way of duty, that we may truly say, it is a yoke of pleasantness.  The way of duty is the way of rest.

I freely admit that this way of duty is more often than not, not a way of rest.  It is a heavy burden and it is hard to give it away, off my shoulders, out of my heart, and into a faith that knows He has my concerns, worries, and anxieties and He is more than willing and capable with all power, strength, and knowledge.  I pray for my own faith and for our deliverance from our enemies.  I pray that I’d lean on His Everlasting Arms, fully trusting, fully covered, and being fully contained within Them.

No comments: