Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Black Sheep


I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me, just as my Father knows me and I know the Father.  So I sacrifice my life for the sheep.  I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold.  I must bring them also.  They will listen to my voice, and there will be one flock with one shepherd. – John 10:14-16

Have you ever been that “other” person?  We like to refer to this as the odd man out, the ugly duckling or coincidentally, the black sheep of the family.  The term “black sheep” has come to mean waywardness and to have negative implications towards whomever it is directed.  However, in sheep, the black sheep is a rare occurrence when two white sheep mate and both carry a recessive gene for a black sheep.  When this happens there is a 25% chance the lamb will be black.  Everywhere a normal sheep is white, which is actually no color, the lamb is black.  Its wool is often dark red or black.  The black sheep are rare and unique. 

If you are not a Jew, then you are the “other sheep”.  Jesus is having a discussion with Jews healing a blind man who had been blind from birth.  He uses the analogy of a shepherd and sheep over and over, but they do not understand.  In this passage, He is saying that there are sheep in their fold (the Jewish people), but there are other sheep also, not in their fold (Gentiles) and at some time they will all be put into the same fold with a single shepherd, whom He is as the Good Shepherd.

We are the “other” people.  Be thankful today that you are included into the common fold of all Christians who follow Christ.  We are the universal church.  Jesus specifically says that He sacrificed His life for the sheep.  That includes each one of us.  He says further in verse 18 that He lays His life down on His own accord, no one takes it from Him.  He has the authority to lay His life down and to take it up again from the command of God the Father.  Jesus willfully laid down His life for everyone who hears His voice (v 3), follows Him (v 4), and knows Him (v 14), as they are His sheep. 

No matter how different we might think we are; no matter how outcast we might feel; no matter what our economic status says; no matter what our failures or successes are; no matter what our lineage is; no matter what color we are; no matter other unique identifying characteristic we have; if we believe in Jesus as the Son of God and know Him, we are in His fold.  You are wanted today by the Creator of the universe!  We are included with people who love Him first and one another (the two great commandments).  I praise God today for not being left out, but for His voice that calls me to Him.

No comments: