Thursday, January 28, 2016

It's Not About Me


"Let us go on... and become mature in our understanding, as strong Christians ought to be." – Hebrews 6:1

Last night, Julie and I were in conversation with a parent of a 16-year old.  She told us a story of how she was riding in the car with her daughter driving with her permit.  Someone in a car ahead of them threw out a cigarette butt slightly in their direction.  (Which I believe should be considered littering and fined.  If you’ve ever tried to pick up trash on a portion of the highway, you quickly realize there are too many cigarette butts to pick up.)  Her daughter exclaimed to her asking if she saw that person throw that trash at her.  Her daughter thought that person specifically threw it out at her on purpose.

We all laughed because we all know that is ludicrous.  No person in the car adjacent to you cares about you in any way except in how you can get out of their way.  But for her daughter, her teenage mind has this idea that she is so important that a person throwing a cigarette butt out the window remotely in her direction is doing it purposefully at her.  She should not be condemned however as most teenagers think in a like manner of extremisms.

It brings to light a topic that I believe our society pushes and it’s a trap too many fall into.  While we may gawk and gaze unbelievingly at others who embody this concept, if we look carefully into our lives we will see that there are small areas within us where we are susceptible to it.  This is, of course, the “It’s all about me” concept where our actions and attitudes reflect that we make ourselves the center of the universe to make us happy.  It’s a me-centered world.  Society pushes this very directly. It tell us in any way it can that this is your one life so go live it the way you want to so you are happy.  …  Consequences of those actions?  Well, that’s just people who are against you.  If they were for you, they’d want whatever you want to make yourself happy.

Everyone wants to be a teenager again. 

I don’t want to be a teenager again.  I want to be a wise old guy with a gentle, kind, loving spirit that only wants to help those whom I am in contact.  I’ve got a long way to go.  But in order for me to get there, those attributes of kindness, gentleness, and love are fruits of the Spirit of God within me.  So, to become whom I hope to be, I’ve got to live a God-centered life.  That means, “It’s NOT all about me.”  I want to be spiritually mature and that means doing what God says and believing that those things are what is best for me, not what I think will make me happy.

Max Lucado wrote a book by that very title, It’s Not about Me: Rescue from the Life We Thought Would Make Us Happy.  I haven’t read it, but it sounds like it addresses this head-on.  Rick Warren comments on Day 1 of the Purpose Driven Life, “It’s not about me.”  Two very prominent Christian authors and pastors recognizing this very same attack from society.  We would be wise to consider its effect on our thoughts, attitudes, and actions.

Dear Lord, show me where in my thoughts, attitudes, or actions I am all about me.  Help me to be able to find Your purpose in those areas so You are the center of everything in my life.  I pray that the fruit of Your Spirit would show to those around me.  Through Christ I pray, Amen.

No comments: