Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Psalms 52:8-9

But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God;
I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever.
I will praise You forever,
Because You have done it;
And in the presence of Your saints
I will wait on Your name, for it is good.

The obvious symbolism is a healthy growing tree in a peaceful nutritious environment.  In Romans 11 there is a reference to the olive tree as the tree of faith.  On that tree some of the limbs of the house of Israel were removed for their unbelief and limbs of Gentiles were grafted in for their belief.  The olive tree is the tree of faith in the house of God.  Similarly, the reference here could also be referring to being a tree of faith in the house of God that trust in His mercy forever.  David as a descendent of Abraham and in the line of Jesus would certainly be in the tree of faith.

In this context I think it is important to see what he is saying.  He is a healthy growing tree of faith in the house of God as a contrast to the person who loves evil more than good, boasted in his evil ways, trusted in his abundance, and was destroyed by God.  The Message bible says it this way, “Big man bet on the wrong horse, trusted in big money” and I think that’s fitting for today’s culture.  I have always had one recurring dream.  In one scene of the dream it is dark and dirty, smoky, with stuff everywhere, cars honking, and noise everywhere; then there is total tranquility, blue skies, clear air, gentle breeze, calm, open ground before me, quiet; then back to chaos; then back to peace, back to chaos, back to peace, etc.  I hardly ever remember dreams but this one I have had occasionally since I was young.  This writing has a stark contrast for me.  It is as much contrast as that in my dreams. 

Why do we praise Him forever?  Because He has done it, not because of anything we have done.  For God so loved the world.”  We loved the world, but only for what we could get from it, not to save everyone in it.  Only God loved every person in it, even knowing there deepest, vilest, selfish natures.  He still wants to offer even me a chance for redemption.  Even me.  And so I’ll wait with my Christian brothers and sisters for that day when we shall see Him face-to-face – Oh Glorious Day!

Living, He loved me
Dying, He saved me
Buried, He carried my sins far away
Rising, He justified freely forever
One day He's coming
Oh glorious day, oh glorious day

Chorus from the song Glorious Day by Casting Crowns.

No comments: