Thursday, December 4, 2014

Insidiousness of Sin

1 Cor 5: Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough?

When we look from a distance at others, it is sometimes baffling how they got so deeply mired into obvious sin.  We want go just shake them and make them come to their senses.  Yet when we look at the activity of Satan the great deceiver, we see that his deception is complete.  The story of Adam and Eve eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge is a good example of simple deception.  Others such as the stories of all three of the first kings of Israel demonstrates this complete deception such that they didn't even recognize it.  David, for instance, didn't recognize the depth of his own deception until Nathan confronted him with an apparent third party story of adultery, murder, lies, and deceit.
I need to understand my own vulnerabilities better such that I know how to properly pray and guard myself, so I plan to explore this total deception over the next few days. 
What are your thoughts on the subject?

1 comment:

Chris said...

It is also important to realize that as a descendant of a descendant of a descendant ... of Adam and Eve, that we're a descendant of a descendant of a descendant ... of sinners, therefore, we are sinners. Satan's original deception is still leaving a mark this many generations later.

The most important combative technique is faith. With faith I can believe that I can change, that God is capable of doing that. With faith I can believe that others can change, that God is capable of doing that. I have hope and all is never lost. God can and will defend me, at the sound of His name evil will flee, He blesses me and deals bountifully with me and He will never leave me. I am more convinced than ever in my life that faith alone in the one true God is the purpose of life.