Thursday, December 4, 2014

Faith

Hebrews 11:1,3 defines faith as "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen ... that the worlds were framed by the Word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible."  So, when I define my faith as crying out to God and saying, "God if you don't do this, there is no way for it to be done.  Everything depends upon You." I am living into this definition.  I am hoping for something and I am believing that God can do it and I am depending upon Him and Him alone.  Then when it happens, there is evidence of something not seen.  The worlds were created by His Word, not by a visible and physically definable thing or happening.  Similarly, our world should be created and maintained by His Word and not by another thing or happening within it.

Last night my son found a video on YouTube about space-time and how time can change depending upon how you travel in space-time.  He was excited about trying to get his mind around this complicated concept that Einstein postulated and used to arrive at his theory of relativity as it made the previously understood idea of time being a constant to not being a constant.  Anyway, I pointed out in our discussion how this is already defined in the Bible.  God is in yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  We see each day one day at a time, but God sees all the days because He is sitting at the center of the space-time universe.  Because of His unique angle into the space-time realm it allows Him to see behind and before.

Faith, whether it is God working in our life in an area that we do not see any answer for, or if it is in accepting He is at the center of the universe and then having the world's greatest scientist discover a way that it is feasible to our tiny ability of understanding, still requires us to believe in the unseen hand.  But the seen changes are evidence of His existence.  When all my hope, all that I am, and all that I want me to be are put by me into His hand to do as He please, and I declare that if He doesn't do something I will become undone - it's Him or nothing.  Then is my faith fulfilled because God will answer that call.  Always.
There is an unseen hand to me
That leads through ways I cannot see
While going through this world of woe
This hand still leads me as I go

I'm trusting to the unseen hand
That guides me through this weary land
And some sweet day I'll reach that strand
Still guided by the unseen hand

"The Unseen Hand" by Bill Gaither.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

James said I'll show you my faith by my works. Faith is useless and I would argue non-existent if it doesn't result in works. If it doesn't affect daily decisions its shallow at best.
Kudos for you to bring faith into a exploration of science. Your son has seen your faith in action and his is increased.