Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Anger

Eph 4:26a  And "don't sin by letting anger control you."

In this election season, I find much on social media to get angry about.  I'm angry that some of the candidates have very questionable records and character, but are not held accountable and even supported by the electorate.  I'm angry that the election and poll results show a clearly divided nation on fundamental issues of values and character.  I'm angry that the media seems clearly biased.  I'm angry about the condescending and judgmental lectures by youngsters on who I should be for or against.  I'm angry about the choices I have in candidates.  I long to debate, but I find myself having great difficulty choosing a champion to back and wax enthusiastic about and that makes me angry!  You all know I have no patience, so to sit on the sidelines of an important issue or worse, watch people misuse scripture or Christian beliefs to justify their position makes me angry! 
I've wanted on numerous occasions to sit down and respond to postings or opine about issues of character, yet I'm mindful that social media is not a good forum for debate or accountability.  Were I to respond to posts, it wouldn't solve anything, but instead fan the flames of division.  Since when did we become so sensitive that we think everything is a personal indictment rather than and indictment of issues, approaches, or someone else's character?  It seems we've become so self-centered we can't accept someone who disagrees with us and we choose instead to sacrifice relationships rather than agree to disagree.  So, I sit and seethe or even "unfollow" a few who just irritate me to no end. 
I'm mindful that while I continue to pray about the election and our nation, I need not contribute to its division in social media.  We seem to have lost our ability to really listen to others, myself chief among us, and debate has instead become a contest which simply must be won at any cost.  In fact, I overheard Kerianne discussing the TV show "Downton Abby" the other day and remarked at how civil the debates were "back in the day." 
So, although dissatisfying and maddening, I think it best for me to simply hold my social media tongue lest I become a stumbling block particularly to younger generations.  Although angry, I think it best to look for opportunities to join in face-to-face dialogue where I can make it clear that the dialogue is about a candidate or issues, not the person with whom I'm engaged in debate.  Holding my tongue is hard stuff (and that makes me angry)!

No comments: