Tuesday, June 23, 2015

What about the Change?

Acts 2:38 And Peter said, Let your hearts be changed, every one of you, and have baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will have the Holy Spirit given to you.

The chorus from Steven Curtiss Chapmans "The Change"
What about the change
What about the difference
What about the grace
What about forgiveness
What about a life that's showing
I'm undergoing the change yeah
I'm undergoing the change

For me, this years High School Mission Trip was outstanding.  I watched as our youth formed deeper bonds.  I reveled in the sharing that took place during our devotion time.  I was thankful to spend quality time in shared labor and deep discussion with adults I otherwise don't get to spend enough time with during the rest of the year.  I greatly enjoyed watching one of our former youth, take charge of our youth and lead them in effective discipleship and service.  I celebrated as I labored side-by-side with Reja.  I thanked my God as I watched Ryan mature into a competent worker, an effective worship leader, and an inspired young man of prayer.  I was moved as I saw the hard heart of a man who has lived a very difficult life melt with the love of God poured out through the sacrificial labor of youth. 
As I reflect, however, I believe God doesn't waste an experience and I'm still wondering what God was trying to teach me on this trip.  Perhaps it was simply encouragement to keep on with the labor of discipleship.  Perhaps it was merely to be a facilitator for the growth and maturity of others.  A couple of things are certain: I know God isn't done with me yet as I've got a long way to go to maturity, and being slow on the uptake as I am, it may take some time to figure out exactly what lessons God had for me on this trip. 
There is a cost to discipleship, and this year it was the transmission in my Avalanche.  Many question why I drive it when we have church vehicles.  Part of it is that I'm selfish and simply want what I thought was a more reliable vehicle there.  Part of it is that I want it available so Reja can make a run to the hardware store.  Part of it is that I've got so much stuff, it just won't fit in the van.  Mostly, I simply want to ensure that everything I have is available to God for His use.  I felt called to serve, called to offer my tools for use, and called to have a support vehicle.  I believe He will honor my obedience to His call with the supply needed to repair the truck.  I look forward to sharing how He will work that situation out.

No comments: