Friday, June 5, 2015

Spiritual Laziness

Romans 12:11 Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically(NLT)

For those of you who have ever worked with me on a mission trip of any kind, you know I'm not a lazy person.  Or am I?  When it comes to working, I tend to overdo (Kerianne says its because I'm an ISTJ on the Meyer's Briggs assessment and I'm always "Doing what must be done").  Yet in terms of discipline when it comes to spiritual things and physical fitness, I seem to find excuses to not have a normal regimen.  The problem is that the worse it gets, the worse it gets.  In other words, as I get more and more out of shape physically, the less I feel inclined to push myself physically.  In reality, its no different in terms of spiritual fitness. 
I need this time of centering and devotion every day.  To miss it because I'm out of town on business is to yield to laziness simply because my daily routine has been interrupted.  I need this time, little as it is, to remind myself that God is God and I am not.  I cannot "do what must be done" without Him!  Sure I can do many things, but nothing of eternal significance can be accomplished without God.  Without diligence in daily devotion, I lose my edge, if you will, and become much more inclined to at least useless distractions if not outright sin. 
As I learned in football, many injuries occur when we become tired.  We lose our control, and suddenly we are out of position and pull, strain, or break something.  So, physical conditioning was essential not just to play at a higher level, but to avoid injury.  Often I think I've failed to apply that important lesson in other aspects of my life and I try to play the game without devoting the time required to truly be in the proper shape to do so.  As I result, I'm not functioning at peak capacity.
There are many that work out or practice every day to improve skills or at least maintain fitness.  God is our only source of spiritual empowerment.  If we don't remain plugged into the source of love (agape) and true power, we become spiritually "out of shape."  How are you maintaining your spiritual fitness?   Do you work at it every day or just on the occasional Sunday? 

No comments: