Thursday, June 18, 2015

Haiti Trip - Thursday & Friday

I’ve neglected to comment on what Julie and Jasmine have been doing these days.  On Wednesday, we all went to the villages, but on Monday and Tuesday, they would spend the first half of the day helping Angie Bundy at the Cowman School organizing and preparing her office as the end of the school year had just occurred and the school was beginning some construction over the summer as it grows.  In the afternoon, they would help at the Bethsada Clinic organizing the pharmacy, counting medicine (pills) and separating them into bags of specific numbers.  They also got to tour an orphanage and take dresses that were made by my Mom and ladies from the First Baptist Church of Laurel, MS so the workers at the orphanage could give them to those who needed them.
Today, they are working at the clinic at “baby day” and are weighing babies and giving immunizations to the babies.  They find it surreal that they can work at a clinic as a pharmacy tech and nurse with no experience or training in this area; that they can handle the medical records of people; that they can be responsible to lock up the pharmacy room when they leave – all unimaginable things in the U.S.  Yet, I find a link in this to the “way it used to be” here.  This is the attitude of my Grandfather’s day, when you would give the keys of the truck to a 12 year old and tell them to drive to the store and get something.  America has lost something here.
By the end of Friday, we’ve got all the electrical gear in place that we have and we’ve tested two of the generators to verify that they start up and run.  We’ve tested the pedestals in one of the areas and then turned on that area so it is now powered by the new generator.  Then we “cut over” all of the house, office, and shop loads on it so the whole area is on the new generator.  Before we can turn over the other areas, we have to trace down short circuits in the loads.  Everyone was out until around 9:00 trying to find these shorts.  Finally, they’ve just been disconnected from the system.  Our goal is to leave with all parts of the new underground system turned onto the new system.  Unfortunately we don’t have time to “cut over” all their loads to the new system as much as we want to do that before we leave. 
In our work these days, Dan has made a new friend.  One of the Haitian workers who is helping with the exhaust system of the generators has his son with him and he has jumped in however he can to help us with anything he sees us doing.  He has taken up mostly with Dan and is a good helper.  Dan gave him one of his Auburn hats and the next day he brought Dan a pair of sunglasses. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are awesome. I've failed you in that I should have had you come make a short presentation to the Missions Committee about your trip in late winter and we should have sponsored you. I will remain true to my word and sponsor the Radios I committed to sponsor.
I'm inspired by what I've read. God intervening in the Radio Station and in calling a Pastor via vision/dream and by your faithfulness. you had a real burden to use your expertise and you've followed through in a big way over a long time.
Well done good and faithful servant. You've been faithful in much - expect even more to be put on your plate.

Chris said...

You haven't failed me. Actually, after reading the book "Missionary Warrior" about Charles Cowman, I think I like the idea that it was not sponsored as a better way. There is no place for the credit to fall but at the feet of Jesus. He made a way. Through what could have been a decided failure on my part in my relationships, my family, my faith, and in this work - His work - He made a way. All He needs is a broken and committed heart. He does the rest. I count it glorious that I am even considered for work, to have a purpose in God's service. Surely I had judged myself worthy only for slaughter.