Monday, January 26, 2015

Is God a Reality in Your Life?

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (KJV)

Where is the evidence?  How do I know God is real?  Usually when I ask for people to tell me where they have last seen evidence of God, I get a story involving nature of some kind if I get anything at all.  I like to hear how people see God in nature.  In fact, I have my own story during a recent deer hunt of not only seeing evidence of God, but perhaps more importantly how He clearly answered a prayer to help me find a dead deer hopelessly lost in thick underbrush.  To me it was an awesome experience.  But if that is the only recent story of God's activity, do I have a compelling story for those skeptics who don't believe?  Where is the convincing evidence to a lost world that there really is a God who loves us?  How are we to present a persuasive argument for Christ if we have no personal proof of his very existence? 
I think we lack both the skill as well as the proper forum to share such evidence of a living God who desires and cultivates a relationship with us.  Admittedly there a clearly instances where God has been at work that we simply cannot know.  Did God's protective angels miraculously deliver me from a disastrous wreck yesterday on my way home from church?  One simply cannot know sometimes.  Yet there are other times where God is at work that we should recognize and acknowledge.  For many years, for instance, I've had the privilege of teaching Sunday School.  First, this is out of my introverted comfort zone.  Many have expressed disbelief in my deep rooted introversion, but I function as an extrovert when I have to and then retreat to my "cave" of isolation to recharge before emerging again.  Teaching is out of character for me and is evidence of God motivating me and providing the energy to represent Him before others.  More importantly, a lesson seems to come literally to life during the Sunday School hour at least to me.  Often God takes these lessons in a totally different direction than what originally came to mind during my (admittedly minimal) preparation.  This is God speaking through me, at least on those occasions where I successfully remove myself and my own agenda and allow Him to do so. 
Fortunately, we have a pastor who has the courage to be transparent and live into his sermons with personal experience.  Expository preaching is useful to expand our Biblical knowledge which in and of itself bring us closer to God, but nothing presents a more compelling argument for the reality of God than someone who can apply it and provide an example of the reality of the text in their own life.  I'm thankful for Dave Barkalow and his courage to preach in a very personal fashion that clearly provides evidence that God is truly real.  We need a forum, however, to share our own testimonies.  I hear briefly in church that we are to share our "God Sightings," but I couldn't find directions on how to do so in the bulletin or the website.  Help?
How has God been made real to you?  Jesus said that if He and His disciples were to be quiet, the very rocks would cry out (Luke 19:40).  Are you advancing the cause of Christ with a recent, real personal testimony of the reality of God or are is nature having to carry your share of the burden?

4 comments:

Chris said...

Isn't this the real reason "why" you and I stop attending the men's bible study at the church? We felt like there was a calling to have an action purpose to the group and not just read and read and read and study and study and study and do nothing!!! No one else seemed to "get it" so we got out. Sure, I was covered with coaching sports during a portion of the year and dragged you into it also, but this is the real reason I believe. I think this follows into your thoughts here. When God becomes real we get active.

Unknown said...

I didn't mean to cast a protest vote with my departure from the men's Bible Study. I agree that study without action is to be out of balance, but I didn't try to make a point by quitting. I'm busy and couldn't attend regularly and I've got to make hard choices on where to invest time and that particular Study while important, wasn't the most important thing at the time. In addition, I felt like when I could make it, I dominated the conversation. I really felt like I was walking on people who really needed to have a say to live into the text. Feeling the need to talk at some point is an issue of self-centeredness I'm sure, but nevertheless I just thought it disrespectful to pop in once or maybe twice a month and dominate the conversation, then not show for another couple of weeks.

Chris said...

I figure that God was getting me out so they could grow and I was the stumbling block. But I remember feeling as thought the group should have its own ministry, through action, and it seemed like everyone was unable to grasp that concept.

Unknown said...

I don't every see you being a stumbling block. I do think a group of men like that already has a ministry - first to love their wives, lead their households spiritually, and by analogy lead the church spiritually as well. Action should follow a call not be forced. What I was missing was that specific call to leadership in our church. Perhaps its simply SS, Choir, and Missions. The other thing I find missing is the seeking of a call, but then we don't know how to go about seeking. More on that in today's rant maybe.