Monday, January 5, 2015

All Good Things

James 1: 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
As I reflect upon 2014, I realize that I have much for which to be thankful: family, friends, health, work, and hobbies shared with family and friends all add up to an idyllic life.  I could enumerate many specific events, occasions, and times that have meant much and would be a great exercise in journaling, but I'm also mindful that these gifts are from a single source: God.
It's not clear to me why God chose me to bless so immeasurably.  There are some 6 billion people on earth and why he chose to place me in my current situation isn't clear.  Some have opined that we are born into a situation and what becomes of it is a result of our own decisions.  There is a small sliver of truth in that, but to dwell on my contribution to my current situation is to place emphasis on me and that is dangerous and confusing at least to me.  The danger is to begin to believe that I am my own source of joy and contentment which is to make myself a god - a clear way to rob myself of that joy and contentment.  So my overriding theme from 2014 was great thankfulness for all He has done!
It is also clear to me is that I have the responsibility to be a good steward of that to which I'm entrusted (Luke 12:48) and that is much!  That realization leads to my second theme derived from 2014 which is the struggle to grow in faith.  My observation of life is that when one is comfortable, little growth occurs.  Even simple things like my children cutting new teeth when they were toddlers led to challenges, so I'm mindful that to face the great challenges of life require great faith.  More on that tomorrow.

2 comments:

Chris said...

When we were in Haiti and we saw the missionaries living on faith daily, we said, "We don't live like this, but we should." I think that maybe God is going to make this a reality for us.

Unknown said...

I think you're right. It's a little scary as to what it might take to make this a reality.