Saturday, January 24, 2015

"In" and "Of" Christ

The pastor went over this on Wednesday night and I am not sure I understood it all.  But, I am attempting to put it down in my own words and understanding and any discernment is appreciated.

We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. – Galatians 2:15-16

I’m going to try to get this organized in my thoughts.  God creates man, man does what God asks him not to do and sins.  Man gets more and more evil being consumed by his own desires and God destroys him but leaves one family.  Man repeats but God chooses a people who have a tendency to be willing to follow Him.  God creates the law for these people.  The law is God’s gift to bless man.  The law is not a “to-do” list of requirements so man can get to God.  Man can believe that God gave the Word and follow it out of a love for God.  In so doing man will also be blessed.  The Word was “Of” God. 

Man does what man does.  He corrupts the Word to be to his benefit wherever he can.  God sees that man is unable to put aside his desires so God makes His Word to become flesh.  Jesus comes “Of” God for man so man can find God and be blessed.

That said, “man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith IN Jesus Christ”.  This is also interpreted to be, “man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith OF Jesus Christ”.  The works of the law, or man doing what the Word instructed, would not save man.  Man believing in the Word and having faith in it as his way to God would save him.   We are saved because we believe in God’s Word that Jesus came.  I have never physically seen Jesus, yet I will honestly tell you I know Him and He knows me intimately.  It is faith.  Our one single requirement to live with God is to believe Him; to know He is real; to depend upon Him for every single thing, every single moment, every single breath and heartbeat.

It is important to note that my justification is not because of my faith “In” Jesus, but because of the work “Of” Jesus.  If my salvation is dependent upon my faith only, then doesn’t that become a work of mine?  Yes, undoubtedly.    It is imperative for me that my salvation to God not depend upon me because I am a sinner and my sin will destroy it.  My salvation, my justification, is dependent upon the work, the Word, “Of” Jesus.

“In” and “Of”, I think I am confusing.  I believe “In” Jesus, “In” His Word that “whoever believes in Me will have eternal life”.  What is He?  He is the Son of the one true living God.  He came and lived physically and killed Himself who had no reason to die as He had no sin.  Yes, He killed Himself by allowing Himself to be killed by those who had no power over Him.  He became a sacrifice as a service to every one of us so we can be saved.  This is the gift “Of” Him to anyone who will believe “In” Him.  

No comments: