Monday, June 2, 2014

Weird Dude by the River

I don't know why I think too much, but I almost always have.  My coaches always said this to me.  "Just play."  Of course, I always thought they just didn't know how to coach me since I could think and wasn't a piece of meat on the field.  ...  I found myself thinking too much again yesterday while in the midst of graduates who had accomplished so much in their high schools.  I felt like I was at the baseball field with Reed as a 6 year old again wondering why my kid was so different than the others.  Why isn't mine on a path to excel as well as others seem to be doing?  What was I doing wrong? 

I have always regretted putting Reed in baseball when he was young.  I think it was traumatizing to him.  I really think he was only interested because he trusted us and we were putting him out there.  Then if he didn't get on base he was so very upset, as if he had failed the world.  I have always thought that by doing what the other parents were doing since I didn't know any better I failed Reed there.  Unfortunately that is just one of the areas and won't be the last one.

I am reminded of John the Baptist this morning as I continue to contemplate how not to let him down by "doing what the other parents" are doing.  John was a weird dude.  The Bible says in Matthew 3:4 that "John himself was clothed in camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey."  And he sat out in the desert preaching and baptizing people into repentance.  All I can consider is he preached with the Holy Spirit because who would come out into the wilderness to see a weird dude who preaches conviction of sin and offers baptism if you want to repent? 

Jesus questioned people in Matthew 11:7-9 asking, "What did you go out into the wilderness to see?  A reed shaken by the wind?   But what did you go out to see?  A man clothed in soft garments?  Indeed, those who wear soft clothing are in kings’ houses.  But what did you go out to see?  A prophet?  Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet."  People went to see John because of who he preached.  And because of this he had a high standing before God.  Jesus said in 11:11, "Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."   Think for a minute about the greatest people who have ever lived since the Creation of man.  Of all that have been born of women there is no one greater than he, the weird dude by the river.  Why?  Because he preached the kingdom of God.  (As a side note, Jesus was more than he, but He was born of God.  This is not relevant to this conversation but is always important to call out.)

How is the relevant to me today?  Well, it's just a reminder that God uses people who, by the world standards, don't measure up or always fit in.  I have to say that Reed is very normal and average in all ways relative.  But, he hasn't found that part of him that is exceptional.  A proper perspective on my part to reflect upon what would God have Reed do should be by only concern and how I can help Reed find that way.  Am I conveying how important it is to me that he learn how to be mindful of God when he wakes up, goes in his way, and returns each day?  Am I showing how he should read and pray every day?  This is the only real thing that matters.  I'm afraid that I haven't done a good job with this either, but I can play the down I have now and maybe get a few yards.

No comments: