Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Prayer Focus

Prayer.  I have been intrigued for a while about how I pray.  Too often I feel like I'm just praying for apparent needs in the lives of others.  Heal them, help them, guide them, protect them are common phrases for others and for my family.  Yet, while they are mostly selfless prayers, I feel a tug that I'm missing the intentional mark of how Jesus would pray.  As I read about Jesus I see that His single concern was the spiritual health of people, not their physical health.  He could see, better than anyone who has ever lived, how insignificant the physical life was by comparison to the real life in the spiritual kingdom.  This leads me to dwell on my prayers and how my own perception of someone's apparent need should be considered.

What if God has put some event or happenstance in someone's life for the very clear reason to develop their spiritual condition?  And then I pray to God for it to be removed from their life?  At that moment, I am praying against the will of God simply because I have not worked to view what that person might really need spiritually.  But how can I possibly know what is someone's  inner spiritual need?  I also know that if I just pray, "God have your will in their life", I'll feel like I'm not pouring my heart into asking Him to be in their life.  "Thy will be done" Jesus taught us to pray.  I think we are to pray for others to recognize and grow in some spiritual way in accordance to God's pressure so His will be done.

Paul's prayers exhibit so much of what I think my own prayers should reflect.  His language reflects thoughts and yearning for the spiritual relationship of others to God.  "Our prayer is for your perfection" (2 Cor 13:9); "that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless" (Phil 1:10-11); "may God Himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through ..." (1 Thes 5:23); "that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of His goodness and the work of faith with power" (2 Thes 1:11); "that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God" (Col 1:9-10); "that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,  that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,  may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height —  to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." (Eph 3:16-19)

Just in these few examples I get the sense that Paul is praying for their inner being, their spiritual relationship, and their spiritual work.  Where is this element in my prayers for others and myself?

Oswald Chambers comments, "'You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss . . .' (James 4:3).  If you ask for things from life instead of from God, 'you ask amiss'; that is, you ask out of your desire for self-fulfillment.  The more you fulfill yourself the less you will seek God."  I have to wonder if I ask for others for my own self-fulfillment.  I do not think so as I do not see how I have something to gain other than the knowledge that God has worked in their life.  But I also wonder if I do ask amiss many times, not centering my prayer on the aspects of the only life that matters, our spiritual life, concentrating on that work as Jesus did.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is really deep. Thanks
I'll be studying for a while.
I do think everytime we take prayer requests at church its always about the sick and dying. I believe its because A) its selfless, so a popular topic - who would argue? and 2) we can't control it, so the only thing we can do is pray. I rarely if ever hear someone say "my friend isn't a Christian," or "I need to grow." Recently, however, Rew challenged the choir to be in prayer about the sermon from last week that included an alter call as Rew was convinced that someone needed to hear the call to come into relationship with Christ that day. Everyone was buzzing that Sunday about being in prayer since Wednesday. That tells me that with some spiritual leadership, our congregation is willing to focus and act accordingly. But I digress...