Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Cost of Discipleship

Matthew 11:30
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
 
I saw this article today on Facebook http://familydiscipleshippath.com/2013/11/22/sports-vs-church/ and marveled at how this paralleled our own experience when Ryan was growing up.  In fact, after prayer and discussion with Reja, we forced Ryan to turn down repeated invitations to play travel baseball in middle school.  Consequently, he failed to make the middle school baseball team and had no chance at HS baseball.  I had hoped that Ryan would be a standout football athlete, but he simply didn't love the game enough to make the commitment it takes to play in HS and quit after his sophomore year.  As a result, other than leadership events, Ryan really had little extracurricular connection at FWBHS.  After spending his Senior year at NWFSC, he's not really looking forward to attending graduation.  I can sympathize.  I graduated from CHS a year or two ago (or maybe more, but I can't remember...) and since I only attended a year, I felt no real connection to the school and really didn't care about graduation.  I've not been back for reunions or other events except those in which my kids were involved.  Kerianne had a very different experience and had numerous friends at FWBHS. 
My decision about travel ball many years ago has proven costly to Ryan.  Perhaps he wouldn't have succeeded or loved baseball, or perhaps he would have gone to "the other HS," played BB and football and had a very different HS experience.  Due to my decision, we'll never know. 
What Ryan DID do when he opted to quit football was take full advantage of a gracious and wise youth director who offered to teach him guitar.  In three short months, Ryan began playing in the youth band with Jimmy Whited and at 6 months, took over the leadership role.  He's grown to be an effective praise and worship leader, something that he can take with him throughout his full life - unlike HS sports. 
So, as I watch him participate in graduation activities, I look back and can clearly see God work to once again show his promise in Ro 8:28 to always be true.  God took a decision dedicated to Him and made into something far more beneficial that I could have done for Ryan.  As Ryan dedicated himself to God's service, God has provided a sense of connection and fulfillment that Ryan simply didn't get out of events at HS.  Praise God that He knows best.  I'm thankful that for once, my decisions seem to have been divinely guided and worked out for the best.  Clearly God's yoke looked unbearable at the outset, but through His grace, proved to truly be light!  I look forward to how God will use the skill, talent, and obvious Spiritual Gift God has bestowed upon Ryan as he grows. 
Finally, this wouldn't have had the same outcome if Jimmy hadn't been the selfless and wise person he is.  Jimmy recognized (at least a little) dedication from Ryan and immediately put him to work to use his new skills.  Jimmy loves to play guitar and lead worship, but because he knew that Ryan needed to be actively using his skills, he stepped out of the limelight and literally pushed Ryan into it.  I don't think Ryan would have stuck to guitar without this leadership opportunity.  I'm not sure many people recognize Jimmy's long track record of this kind of leadership, but there are people in ministry today because Jimmy consistently recognizes God calling young people and He puts them right to work developing the spiritual gifts as they grow.  I'm thankful for Jimmy and his selfless leadership. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

I am sure the decision was tough. I also think of how many Sundays you would not have been up there to teach the youth and how that might have affected so many more. I think your teaching is crucial to these youth to get a proper foundation in Scripture.

Regarding Jimmy, we have never had any glimpse of what you describe. In fact, our every encounter runs contrary to everything you say. He wouldn't teach Jack guitar for long, he took no interest in Reed. If a kid wasn't in the special "leadership" of youth Jimmy didn't know them at all. I am glad to know that he did connect with some of the youth, it is unfortunate that it is only with his hand selected ones. His legacy to Reed is that, other than Luke and Reed and sometimes Elliot, there are no boys in the HS Youth program. It is in total rebuild mode and that will probably take a few years. By then, they'll be long gone and we'll be doing good if we can get them to stay up there. Without your commitment and Ryan's, I wonder how many of the boys now graduating would still be there.