Monday, October 5, 2015

Shine


 Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”  Matthew 5:16

The weather affects my moods.  I don’t want it to, but it does, at least partially.  Lately, each day has had thick grey clouds and the temperature has been a little cooler (which I like).  It hasn’t rained much, maybe some light drizzle here and there, but the days have a deep winter feel to them.  For some reason I want to sleep a lot.  Maybe I’m part bear and I need to hibernate.  I just know that I am less awake and less excited to get going on days like this.

Similarly, I think there are many days when we are spiritually in dark winter days.  We don’t wake up and see the glory of a new sunrise and walk in the warm sunshine under blue skies.  Everything seems subdued, darker, colder, and the colors in our world are dull.  We find that we just aren’t as excited about a lot spiritually.  It doesn’t mean we aren’t saved, but it does mean we are not very excited about it.  Usually it is at these times that a problem or challenge will occur that really needs you to be spiritually awake and responsive.

Why is it difficult at times to stay excited spiritually?  I would say it is because when you do get excited and start living under conviction and confronting sin, almost everyone you know will reject you in some way.  This is depressing and it casts a dull shadow over your excitement.  Then you lose some of those people.  They intentionally walk away.  They may make many excuses but ultimately it’s because you started exercising your faith and they don’t want theirs to be awoken.  This casts an additional dullness to your excitement.  Then, undoubtedly, the things you are praying so adamantly for aren’t happening.  Someone is still rejecting God; a young person is still running away from responsibility; a disease is still consuming someone; people are still attacking you and your belief; others are trying to cause division; and others are lying to others about you.  It is hard to stay encouraged and see the bright Son shining over all of Creation.

BUT, when I think of what I have been delivered from; when I think of how God has met me where I was; when I get to be at home with my family and we have great family nights; when I am able to do some actionable work that serves and contributes to others; and when I see where God has used me, filthy dirty sinful me, to do anything for Him, I find that I see a sunny day.  A single person who’s life is made better because of God finding a way to use me makes that day a great day.  It is in giving my dull, cloudy, dull day to Him and Him using something, anything to help others, that makes the day sunny and beautiful (spiritually speaking). 

Mother Teresa’s Anyway poem says it best:

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

Let God shine through you and in so doing, He will make Himself to shine in you.

No comments: