Wednesday, October 7, 2015

LIving for Christ

Joshua 24: 15But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”

We are faced with thousands of choices each day.  Some are mundane, such as what to wear (ok, I realize some of you actually put a lot of thought into this as you have something to work with and can actually look great, but for me there's just not much I can do...) others are life changing such as who to allow into your inner circle of close friendship.  Regardless, we need a guide.  We simply cannot make perfect choices.  Often, we cannot even make good choices and I give you the history of mankind both in and out of scripture and recent tragic events of local and international terror as evidence of that claim.  We humans are fundamentally flawed and need a guide to make the right choices consistently throughout life. 
As a Christian we have access to the perfect guide each and every second of every day: God's Holy Spirit.  Yet we often treat God as an emergency worker who can only be called upon in cases of dire emergency after we've tried everything else we know to do.  Many even believe that scripture tells us that God helps those who help themselves (it in fact does NOT state such).  In fact, God places himself within us to set us free - not from reliance on Him, but freedom from self reliance.  Yet God does NOT force himself upon us and we retain full freedom of choice. 
So as I start this day, I choose to serve the Lord.  I choose to give my freedom of choice to Him to the best of my ability.  I'm not perfect (you're welcome to pile on with examples here!), but I know the One who is and I choose to trust His judgment and  guidance.  I pray that I have the patience to listen, the wisdom to recognize His inspiration, the  audacity to follow in obedience, and the courage to share the results.  Only then can my life have eternal significance and meaning. Only then can I stand with true character not because of what I've done, but because of what I've allowed God to do through me.  Lord take my life and let it be all for you!

I want to sign Your name
To the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to You

No comments: