Friday, October 23, 2015

Dull Sword

Pr 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.

In the military, when a critical piece of equipment necessary to support our nuclear mission fails, we call it a Dull Sword event and it gets very high level of attention until its repaired to serviceable condition.  Sometimes we get dull in our walk as well.  My Dad always said that we don't serve a wimpy God and when He needs to get your attention, He will do so.  As a result of that upbringing, I've always tried to avoid the "2x4 of life" events that God can sometimes use to get our attention preferring to allow simple reminders to get my attention so God doesn't have to hit me too hard.  I'm blessed to have a brother that cares enough to seek me out to confront me about my laziness regarding devotions.  I've only managed to write one other this week, and He came over with a simple and direct question of accountability: "where have your devotions been this week."  He didn't beat around the bush, didn't pry for what might be going on, he simply drove right to the heart of the matter at hand. 
I appreciate direct and forthright approaches.  I'm not a very perceptive person and sometimes need an interpreter when people hint around.  I'm glad I serve a God who knows me and seeks me where I am with a clear, non-sugarcoated message.  Since God cares enough to send a personal reminder when I miss my devotions, I know I can trust him to deliver a clear message to me regarding other events in my life when I need them.  I worry about my kids and their maturation, but need to trust God more.  I worry about my role at work, but need to know that God can guide me there as well.  I worry about my financial future, but need to know that God has been speaking and guiding savings and investments my whole career.  I worry about our church, our youth, and so forth.  If God can send a personal messenger to kick me in the butt to get back to something as simple as daily devotions, I know I can trust Him to get a message through my insensitive ears and thick skull regarding important people and events in my life. 
I'm thankful for an accountability partner who has the courage to deliver a simple message and for a God who cares enough to inspire and send that messenger.  I'm more thankful for a faithful God in whom I can put my whole trust.  I need to learn to trust Him more thoroughly - a lesson probably best learned through daily devotions...

No comments: