Thursday, February 19, 2015

Whosoever

That whosoever believes in Him.”  I am whosoever.  It is my favorite word in this verse while I reflect upon the person that I am.  But isn’t it amazing just how fast we change the label on those people we might interact with every day.  As I was traveling recently, I was reminded in the airport, on the plane, in the lines of traffic, and in the hotel that everyone I saw was whosoever.  Everyone.  The guy who cut me off in traffic – whosoever.  The rude guy on the plane talking loudly on his phone way after the boarding door had closed – whosoever.  The guy at my presentation challenging everything – whosoever.

We are whosoever.  Sounds kind of like a Dr. Seuss character.  In fact, here is a rhyme:
Whosoever came to town
Whosoever was a clown.
Sinning in a perfect place
Just to hold a fruit and taste.
Unable to walk with God in glory
God decided to change the story.
Sending Himself as a Son
He made a way for Whosoever to run.
Whosever can run or hide
But it’s up to him to decide.

Probably not the best Dr. Seuss tribute. 

My attitude changes towards everyone when I see them as whosoever.  My focus on who they are, what they really need, and how my interaction should be changes.  I weigh my influence differently.  In the parable told by Jesus in Luke 14 where a man had a great supper and invited many but no one would come, Jesus tells, “Then the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.’”   Compel them to come in.  When I see everyone as whosoever, I can feel my spirit saying “compel them”, “don’t hold back”, “be Me”. 

Dear God, I pray that Your love would rule in me today.  Break any chains that bind and hold You back that You might reach out through me to those in my path.  Amen.